Dr. Caroline I. Esche is a dual-qualified attorney, licensed to practice law in Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia and in Germany.
Dr. Esche focuses her practice on estate and tax planning. She advises international clients on estate, income and gift tax issues, business succession, trust and estate administration, as well as contested trust and estate matters. She has significant experience working with family companies, drafting and administering complex estate plans for domestic and multinational high-net-worth individuals and families, and counseling fiduciaries in estate administration.
Previously, she practiced international trusts and estates law at the Washington DC law firm Rubin Winston Diercks Harris & Cooke LLP. During this time she was also a member of the defense team that represented the Federal Republic of Germany in litigation under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
Dr. Esche is a frequent speaker before embassies, bank wealth management departments, bar associations and various international communities both in the US and in Europe. She has served as a committee vice-chair of the American Bar Association Section of International Law.
Phone: +1 202 790-2500
- JD: Columbia University, New York
- PhD: University of Münster, Germany
- Second State Exam in Law: Düsseldorf Court of Appeals, Germany
- First State Exam in Law: Hamm Court of Appeals, Germany
- Diploma in Law (JD-equivalent): University of Münster, Germany
- District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- Section of International Law
- Real Property, Trusts & Estates Section
- District of Columbia Bar:
- Taxation Section
- Estates, Trusts and Probate Law Section
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association: Estate and Trust Law Section
- Rechtsanwaltskammer München
- Deutscher Anwaltverein, Arbeitsgemeinschaft Erbrecht
- Deutsche Vereinigung für Erbrecht und Vermögensnachfolge
- Verband der Stipendiaten und Altstipendiaten der Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung
- Deutsch-amerikanische Juristenvereinigung